Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A lot of people don't



I was in line at the grocery store tonight and the lady in front of me saw my tub of rice pudding (yum) and went "Oh! I want some of that!" and ran off to the back of the store. This probably would have bothered a lot of people, but there was no one behind me, I wasn't in a rush, and she just seemed so happy. I looked at the cashier and told her she could ring up my tub for her, once the other groceries still on the belt were done. She thanked me and did so, and I sort of meandered until the woman came running back to pay and leave. The cashier remarked that I seemed in a good mood and I paused, thinking about it. I was. I had no reason not to be. Then I got to thinking about all the things I have, and how much I've been blessed.


I've got a home, and a lot of people don't. I've got a job, and a lot of people don't. I've got a loving family that I love and no mistreatment to speak of, which a lot of people don't. I have a pair of cats that love me, and a lot of people don't. I have a car and money in the bank, which a lot of people don't. I have the opportunity and ability to earn more money, and a lot of people don't. I have a phone that texts, takes pictures, and surfs the web, and a lot of people don't.


I have access to high-quality, inexpensive higher education, and a lot of people don't. I have a strong, sure faith in God and a lot of people don't. I have a lot of diverse knowledge that a lot of folks don't. I have a career, friends, and a beautiful place to live, all of which I love, and a lot of people don't. I have clothes on my back, food in the cupboard, a creative mind, a giving heart, a patient soul, and a talent for working with my hands. A lot of people don't.


That's not to say, I sometimes don't quite have all the money in my account I wish I did, or that I need. Or that I always get along with my family and friends. Or that I never mistakes, or wonder if my faith is good enough.  Or that my life is everything I want it to be, especially with regards to men, marriage, and family. Life is far from perfect, but that's how it's meant to be. If life were perfect, we'd have nothing left for which to strive. Imperfection gives us drive and opportunity for growth. I've learned and continue learning to be grateful for all things, good and "bad", because I have few real reasons to complain.


A lot of people don't.

Jena Vincent of Abundance Massage

No comments:

Post a Comment