Monday, March 1, 2010

Nothing to do with massage or doula

Just a random announcement that I'm giving this a shot.  (Huzzah to my one follower!)

I'm on Day 2 of no 'poo so far, and I gotta say that I'm extremely impressed with how well the ACV does detangle my hair, and how soft it is.  I haven't felt my hair this soft in a long time.  I first read of letting one's hair return to its natural, un-shampooed state in Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal (great book, highly recommended, I have the hardcover) but I'd never had the guts to do it..  On page 146, in an aside, she tells about a summer in her early 20s when she didn't wash her hair very often as she hiked through Olympic National Forest (there were no vampires at the time.)  While she doesn't talk about going entirely shampoo free (she does give recipes for herbal shampoos), I was intrigued by her observation that her hair, after the adjustment period, seemed to "self-clean".  As I said, though, I wasn't brave enough to take the step.

But here I go!  I've always been very picky about my hair, what I do or don't use on it, and I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on hair products.  Anyone who has seen my shower can attest to the presence of 2-4 varieties of shampoo and conditioner at any one time, all for a different purpose: dandruff, clarifying, tinting/coloring, moisturizing, etc.  It's a lot of money, a lot of plastic, a lot of time and energy that could be spent on something else.  So I'm giving the BS/ACV method a shot through the month of March.  I expect I'll have to resort to headbands, clips, and barrettes to keep my bangs from freaking out too badly if things do get greasy, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'll probably let you know more in a month.  Back to business.

No comments:

Post a Comment