Monday, May 10, 2010

The Anti-antiperspirant Experiment, pt 2

Welcome back! The adventure continues...

Day 4
I took the whole weekend off the experiment because Saturday I worked with the public (bad time for a "Do I still smell?" test, you know?) and Sunday I didn't leave the house due to a lovely hacking cough I started cultivating Friday night.  Joy.  Anyway, Monday I worked at the bead store all day and also did a massage in the evening, and I was back on the experiment.  I took my baggie o' goop to work with me and reapplied once during a lull mid-afternoon, and I was fine.  No stink, and that's with this bug giving me a very odd odor, as I discovered on Sunday.  I'm impressed so far by the odor protection, if not dampness.

Day 5
Still sick, didn't leave the house again.  Challenging day; our well pump died sometime recently and our storage tank was completely empty last night.  We have no running water.  It makes hygiene a challenge, but I didn't notice any odor until late afternoon from yesterday's application. (Yes, being sick, I forgot to apply in the morning.  Sue me.)  I'm beginning to think that the small amount of orange blossom water may have a genuine deodorizing effect.  Intrigued.

Day 6
Same as yesterday.  Starch mixture kept me from being insanely stinky until I finally got a shower after the pump was repaired, though not entirely.  Still, good results under circumstance.

Day 7
Spent the day out with a friend.  Some odor after a couple hours, and definitely damp.

And it went on for another week, and I just now remembered about this post... odor seems to get taken care of pretty well with this mixture, but wetness is a continued challenge.  Hmm. 

All in all, it was a worthwhile experiment for me.  The corn starch did almost zilch to really control wetness, which was the whole point.  Then again, maybe mixing it with a water-based gel for application created something of a self-fulfilling prophecy event.  I don't know.  However, for such a low-tech mixture, especially once I included the orange blossom water, it had overall surprisingly good odor control properties.  I think this idea bears further experimentation.  My next plan is the try unscented lotion or cream with the corn starch and essential oils.  I'll let you know the results whenever that happens.  Science is done with the day.

Jena Vincent of Abundance Massage

2 comments:

  1. Ooo... I'm intrigued! I must have missed a preceding post (I'm sick too and haven't been on the computer much) -- is this a natural deodorant experiment? I found a good "recipe" (is that the right word?) for natural deodorant on a wonderful blog called Birth Routes (http://www.birthroutes.com/) that I've been wanting to try, but I'm trying to use up my real deodorant 1st. The post is probably several months back by now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an experiment of my own making that actually grew out of no-poo. I had used corn starch on my hair to soak up some extra oil and went "Hmm. corn starch absorbs moisture. I wonderrrrr..." I mixed 2 Tbsp aloe with... I think 1 Tbsp corn starch, and a splash of orange blossom water. It worked great at first, but I think the starch granules get saturated on the liquid in the aloe and water, and wasn't as effective after. That's why I'm going to try something oil-based next.

    ReplyDelete